This W7 class locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1953 and was delivered new to the Thompson Street Gas Works in Stockton on Tees. It remained there until 1964 when it was transferred to Darlington Gas Works for one year before going to St. Anthony’s Tar Works in Newcastle.
Interestingly the tar works was blamed for contaminating the River Tyne many years later. Investigations found that the site which had shut in 1983 was resulting in more than 20 litres of tar seeping into the river every day.
After 1978 the locomotive was out of use for four years and it was isolated on a short stretch of track.
The Darlington Railway Preservation Society moved to rescue the locomotive before the scrap men removed it, and in 1982 it was moved and stored by Stan Towler of A.V. Dawson at Middlesbrough.
Following the locomotives return to Darlington, it was displayed outside North Road Museum and made an appearance at Croft Traction Engine Rally. It was moved to the Darlington Railway Preservation Society North Road Works in 1983. This building was originally built around 1833 as a goods shed and was believed at the time to be the oldest surviving railway building still in railway use.Restoration of the locomotive started at Darlington in December 1983.
In 1984 the locomotive passed its boiler test and entered service. Over the period of its boiler tickets it ran in various locations including on the line at Darlington.
In 2012 the locomotive moved to the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway.
The locomotive is currently under overhaul at the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway where it is hoped to have it back in steam in the summer of 2018.