This locomotive is an Austerity type locomotive built for the Second World War effort by W G Bagnall in 1945. Bagnall built the locomotive as a sub-contractor to Hunslet Engine Co Ltd. Bagnall built 52 of the 377 that were built for the War Department between 1943 and 1947. This locomotive carried the numbers WD75266. The LNER bought some of these locomotives which became the J94 class.
It was initially based on the Longmoor Military Railway as WD75266 but by 1946 it wasowned by the National Coal Board (NCB) and based at Brandon C Colliery near Durham.
By 1967 the locomotive was based at Vane Tempest Colliery at Seaham.
In 1975 it took part in the Stockton and Darlington Railway 150th Anniversary at Shildon where it appeared repainted as 2502/7as a NCB representative.
The locomotive was acquired by the Tanfield Railway but was loaned to the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway, where it carried the name Tanfield, until 1993.
It is now stored at Marley Hill shed on the Tanfield Railway.