1310 was built at Gateshead Works for the NER in 1891. In 1931 it was withdrawn from service at Tyne Dock and sold to Robert Frazer & Sons who sold it on to Pelaw Main Collieries Limited in 1933. In 1949 it passed to The National Coal Board.
It emerged in 2019 that although the locomotive is known as 1310 under normal conventions it would be known as 900. It appears that in 1950 it was one of two NCB Y7 class locomotives on the Pelaw Main colliery system to enter the NCB’s Ouston E workshops for overhaul. It transpires that the boiler of 1310 was placed on the frames of 900 and under normal rules the locomotive would be numbered 900 but this did not happen.
The locomotive was fitted with a new boiler in August 1951 and therefore little of 1310 actually remains. The frames of 1310 are believed to have been scrapped at Ouston in 1956 or some time later.
In 1965 it was bought by the Steam Power Trust for use on the Middleton Railway in Leeds.
It returned to steam following its latest overhaul in 2011 and remains operational on the Middleton Railway until late in 2020.
The aim is to have the locomotive back in service so that it could take part in the Stockton & Darlington 200 celebrations in 2025.
In February 2021 it was reported that the locomotive had had a favourable boiler inspection which meant that the locomotive could continue in service until January 2022.
It was later reported that the boiler certificate had been extended to the end of November 2022.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Middleton Railway||Operational||Steam Power Trust ’65|