|Designer||Neilson and Drummond|
|Weight – Loco||41t 7cwt|
|Driving Wheels||7ft 0ins|
|Cylinders||Inside – 18in x 26in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson (slide valves)|
This engine was a one-off engine which was built by Neilson& Co in 1886 for the Edinburgh exhibition of that year. Afterwards it was acquired by the Caledonian Railway (CR), whose Chief Mechanical Engineer Dugald Drummond had obviously had a hand in its design, as it contained many of his characteristic features.
It was the only single wheeler ever to appear on a Scottish railway and it put in many years of useful service on main line trains, including participating in the 1888 Race to Scotland between East and West coast routes.
After the First World War it was put to work hauling the directors’ saloon, but in 1930 it reverted to ordinary services as LMS 14010 working light trains between Perth and Dundee. As such it was the last express single wheeler to work in ordinary traffic anywhere in the British Isles, and probably in the world. In 1935, having completed 780,000 miles, it was withdrawn from service and repainted in CR blue livery for preservation at St Rollox works.
In 1958 it was given a complete overhaul and was taken into stock in October 1959. It was put to work on enthusiasts’ special workings. These workings took the engine far and wide, not just in Scotland but as far south as the Bluebell Railway in Sussex.
In 1965 the engine was again retired and placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum. It is the only preserved Caledonian Railway express locomotive.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Glasgow Riverside Museum||Static display||Glasgow Museums|