This replica locomotive was completed in 1982 and was commissioned by Tussauds for the Railway and Royalty exhibition at Windsor and Eton Central Railway Station. It carries the number 3041 and name The Queen.
The original 3041 was initially named Emlyn when built in 1894. It was renamed The Queen in 1897 and again renamed James Mason in June 1910. The locomotive was withdrawn in November 1912.
The replica was of a class of locomotive designed by Dean and introduced in 1891. A number of variations to the original locomotive were made and in all 80 locomotives were built by 1899.
Despite the locomotives’ speed, the 4-2-2 design was soon found to be outdated and unsuitable for more modern operation. A proposal to improve their performance by fitting them with long-travel valves was found to be impracticable. The last member of the class in service was withdrawn in 1915.
|Weight – Locomotive||49t 17cwt|
|Driving Wheels||7ft 8½ins|
|Cylinders||Inside – 19in x 24in|
The replica was built at Steamtown at Carnforth and delivered to Windsor in January 1983. The main frames, footplate, boiler shape, smokebox, cab and splashers were fabricated by Babcock’s of Tipton. The tender was modified from a London Brighton & South Coast tender. Parts from a GWR tender, that came from the Dumbleton Hall Preservation Society, were used to provide the wheels for the front bogie and the real wheels. The top halves of the driving wheels do not exist, and were cast from 2 quarters, being bolted together to make a half, and the driving wheels also don’t sit on the rail, so the loco could be wheeled into position on its front bogie and rear wheels. Some boiler fittings were obtained from the Great Western Society and sandblasted, and the dome and safety valve bonnet were made by Newcastle Metal Spinners. Tussaud’s fitted smoke and steam generators, so steam was emitted from the cab, whistles, safety valves and smoke from the chimney. A sound unit was also fitted.
The engine remains there, but the tender was scrapped to make more space for the shopping centre occupying that station building. The Bluebell Railway Atlantic Group purchased the axleboxes, springs and the complete wheel sets from the tender for use in their newbuild Atlantic project.