34101 Hartland was built in 1950 at Eastleigh Works (The only Eastleigh built light pacific preserved) and was one of the last to be rebuilt at there in 1960 just six years before it was withdrawn from service in July 1966 having covered only a further 330,106 miles. At the time of being rebuilt it was however thought that it would be in service until 1987 and the rebuild could be financially justified.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|February 1950||Stewarts Lane|
|May 1961||Bricklayers Arms|
|June 1963||Nine Elms|
Hartland was sold by British Railways to Woodham Brother for scrap and arrived at Barry in October 1966 and stayed there until July 1978.
It was bought by Richard Shaw and moved to his engineering works (Shaw Metals Ltd) in Derby. The restoration was completed at Loughborough on the Great Central Railway by 1993.
In 1995 it moved to the North Yorkshitre Moors Railway where it ran for just a few years before being taken out of service for a ten-year overhaul.
Richard Shaw died in 2014 and the locomotive is now owned by his wife and daughters.
After standing in the open in sidings for a long period the overhaul on 34101 began at Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. It is anticipated that the locomotive will return to steam on the NYMR in late 2017 it was anticipated that the boiler fitting would take place in the autumn following firebox repairs at the South Devon Railway.
The boiler was returned to the NYMR in October 2018.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Under overhaul||Family of the late Richard Shaw|
|34101 Hartland and 35022 Holland America Line in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry – July 1968|
- 34007 Wadebridge (SR 21C107, BR s21C107 & BR 34007)
- 34010 Sidmouth (SR 21C2110, BR s21C110 & BR 34010)
- 34016 Bodmin (SR 21C2116, BR sc1C116 & BR 34016)
- 34023 Blackmoor Vale (SR 21C123 & BR 34023)
- 34027 Taw Valley (SR 21C127 & BR 34027)
- 34028 Eddystone (SR 21C128 & BR 34028)
- 34039 Boscastle (SR 21C139 & BR 34039)
- 34046 Braunton (SR 21C146, BR s21C146 & BR 34046)
- 34051 Winston Churchill (SR 21C151 & BR 34051)
- 34053 Sir Keith Park (SR 21C153 & BR 34053)
- 34058 Sir Frederick Pile (SR 21C158, BR s21C158 & BR 34058)
- 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair (SR 21C159, BR s21C159 & BR 34059)
- 34067 Tangmere (SR 21C167, BR s21C167 & BR 34067)
- 34070 Manston (SR 21C170, BR s21C170 & BR 34070)
- 34072 257 Squadron
- 34073 249 Squadron
- 34081 92 Squadron
- 34092 Wells/City of Wells
- 34105 Swanage