42085 was built at Brighton in 1951 using a boiler completed some two years earlier. It was initially allocated to Stewarts Lane where it remained for only a few months before moving to Heaton shed near Newcastle then shortly afterwards to Darlington. In 1955 it was transferred to Scarborough but the following year it was based at Whitby and then Scarborough before returning to Whitby in 1958. The following year in moved to York where it stayed for two years before transferring to Darlington in 1961. In 1965 it moved to Manningham before going to its final home of Normanton in 1967 from where it was withdrawn from service later that year.
Whilst undergoing a heavy overhaul at Crewe in 1964 it was fitted with a repaired boiler which had previously been used by 42105.
In 1965 it transferred back to Manningham before moving to Normanton two years later from where it was withdrawn from service in 1967.
Later in 1967 42085 was purchased by the Lakeside Railway Estates Company and stored at Carnforth.
The plan at this stage was to operate the branch line from Ulverston to Lakeside which was closed in 1965. This was not to be as BR refused the line to run into Ulverston (the plans were to run into a new station rather than the BR station) and the development of the A590 road severed the line just west of Haverthwaite.
In 1970 the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway Company was formed and the locomotives which had previously been bought were moved to Haverthwaite from Carnforth. The first train ran in 1973 hauled by 42085 and class mate 42073.
42085 is currently being overhauled at Haverthwaite with the boiler being worked on at Carnforth. The locomotive is expected to return to traffic in 2019.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway||Under Overhaul||Lakeside Railway Estates Company