45491, originally numbered 5491, was built at Derby Works in December, 1943 during the Second World War, at a cost of £9,332. It was sent immediately to Corkerhill Depot on the western outskirts of Glasgow to assist with the essential movement of wartime freight traffic. During this time the needs of the war effort would see the locomotive move to all corners of the network often spending many days away from its own deport.
After the war and nationalisation, the locomotive gained its present number of 45491 and it settled into a more regular pattern of freight and passenger work. In July, 1952 it was transferred to Carlisle (Kingmoor) working the fitted freights over the West Coast Main Line which included the ascents of the gradients at Shap and Beattock. Other freight workings took it over the Settle and Carlisle line to Leeds. 45491 was also involved in passenger work and was used on Glasgow to Crewe expresses and on local stopping trains from Carlisle to Hellifield, Skipton and Leeds. The practise of other sheds using “borrowed” available locomotives was common and 45491 was noted on a Blackpool to Wakefield (Westgate) scheduled service in 1959 and on a holiday excursion from Head of Ayr, where Butlin’s Holiday Camp was, to Leeds in June, 1961.
45491 was withdrawn from BR service in July, 1965 and quickly made its way to Woodham Brothers scrapyard at Barry in October of that year.
It languished at Barry for almost 16 years before being bought and rescued by the West Lancashire Black 5 Society and moved to the ICI works at Hillhouse, Thornton in 1981. 45491 The purchasing group also bought with the tender from Jubilee class 45699 Galatea.
The locomotive was subsequently moved to the Fleetwood Steam Centre before being purchased by its current owner Phil Wainwright and moving to Midland Railway Centre at Butterly in September 1991. Whilst at Fleetwood thieves used a disc cutter on the copper firebox tubeplate and sliced out all the section containing all 28 superheater flue holes. They stole the main steam pipe along with three of the four bogie axleboxes.
It arrived at the Great Central Railway at Quorn & Woodhouse in 2011.
The locomotive has had a lot of the restoration work completed already and the chassis and tender are all but finished. Restoration work so far has included replacing 3 of the 4 bogie axleboxes (originals stolen), new tyres being fitted to the driving wheels and re-boring the cylinders, as well as the locating and manufacturing of numerous missing components.
Work now continues mainly on the boiler, which already has had a new firebox tube plate fitted together with a new copper internal steam pipe. Now that the smokebox and door have been refitted, re-tubing will soon follow. Meanwhile, volunteers from the Loughborough Standard Locomotives Group Ltd are making good progress with the manufacture of new cladding. It is hoped that there will be a return to steam shortly.
By the end of 2020 it was reported that a return to steam in 2021 was unlikely as the hydraulic tests would not be carried out until the life returned to some sort of normality following the Corvid-19 pandemic. The logic being that there is no point in having a locomotive with a boiler certificate if it cannot be used.
Work was still progressing on the restoration of the locomotive in November 2022. At that time it was reported that the locomotive required a new smokebox tubeplate after problems were found with the existing one.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Great Central Railway||Being restored||Phil Wainwright|
- 44767 (LMS 4767 & BR 44767)
- 44806 (LMS 4806 & BR 44806)
- 44871 (LMS 4871 & BR 44871)
- 44901 (LMS 4901 & BR 44901)
- 44932 (LMS 4932 & BR 44932)
- 45000 (LMS 5000 & BR 45000)
- 45025 (LMS 5025 & BR 45025)
- 45110 (LMS 5110 & BR 45110)
- 45163 (LMS 5163 & BR 45163)
- 45212 (LMS 5212 &BR 45212)
- 45231 (LMS 5231 & BR 45231)
- 45293 (LMS 5293 &BR 45293)
- 45305 (LMS 5305 & BR 45305)
- 45337 (LMS 5337 & BR 45337)
- 45379 (LMS 5379 & BR 45379)
- 45407 (LMS 5407 &BR 45407)
- 45428 (LMS 5428 &BR 45428)