Built at CR company’s St Rollox works in Glasgow in 1899. It was one of the seventeen which was fitted with Westinghouse brakes when originally built.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
57566 was withdrawn from service in August 1963.
This locomotive is the sole surviving example of a pure McIntosh engine in Britain.
It was housed in the Glasgow museum before moving to the Strathspey Railway in 1980 where its restoration started three years later. It steamed again ten years later and ran until it was withdrawn for overhaul in 2000.
57566 re-entered service in July 2010, following restoration, as CR 828 and in this guise travelled south over the border in 2011 to take part in a steam gala on the Severn Valley Railway. After having some work done over the winter whilst at the Severn Valley railway 828 returned north to the Strathspey Railway via a short stop at the Llangollen Railway.
It is owned by the CR 828 Trust (formely called the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Trust). And is based on the Strathspey Railway.
It was withdrawn from service in July 2013 because the horn casting on the left side was fractured in two places. When the wheelset was dropped out in January 2016 previously unseen cracks in the frame were revealed. Whilst these issues were being rectified it was decided to undertake an intermediate overhaul on the locomotive.
It had been hoped to have the locomotive back in service at the end of 2016 but this proved impossible when the tender tyres eventually delivered from the German supplier were the wrong size. The tyres were subsequently fitted by Riley & Son (E) Ltd and refitted to the locomotive in February 2017.
The locomotive was steam tested in early March 2017 and was back in traffic later that month.
The boiler certificate was due to expire in September 2019 but the locomotive was given an extension to April 2020.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Strathspey Railway||Operational||CR 828 Trust|