Built in April 1937 at Swindon Railway Works for the Great Western Railway, it was first allocated to Carmathen where it remained until 1951.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1951||Plmouth Laira|
|July 1951||Ebbw Junction|
|August 1951||Stafford Road|
|November 1958||Plymouth Laira|
|July 1959||Severn Tunnel Junction|
|November 1962||Fishguard Goodwick|
|January 1963||Old Oak Common|
|June 1963||Cardiff East Dock|
After being fitted with a three row superheater at Swindon, it was allocated to Plymouth Laira shed. Its last shed allocation was to Cardiff East Dock, before it was withdrawn in December 1963, and acquired by Woodham Brothers for scrap in May 1964.
5972 left Barry in May 1981 following its sale from Woodham Brothers to Procor (UK) Ltd Ltd in Wakefield. It was partly restored in Wakefield before moving to Carnforth for completion.
More latterly, 5972 Olton Hall has gained fame as the locomotive used in the Harry Potter film series. Owned by David Smith and painted red following its restoration to working order, the locomotive was selected for use as the engine for the ‘Hogwarts Express’ in 2001 and subsequently used in filming at Leavesden Studios,Kings Cross and also on the West Highland Line between Mallaig and Fort William between 2001 and 2010, painted in the fictitious ‘Hogwarts Railway’ livery and renamed as Hogwarts Castle. It currently carries a 10A (Carnforth) shedplate in recognition of its current home at Carnforth, although it often appears elsewhere in service or on display. 5972’s boiler certificate expired in 2014.
The locomotive is now on static display at The Harry Potter Museum at Warner Brothers Studios in Leavesden, near Watford and will remain there in the museum for two years.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|The Harry Potter Museum at Warner Brothers Studios in Leavesden||On static display||David Smith|
- 4920 Dumbleton Hall
- 4930 Hagley Hall
- 4936 Kinlet Hall
- 4942 Maindy Hall
- 4953 Pitchford Hall
- 4965 Rood Ashton Hall
- 4979 Wootton Hall
- 5900 Hinderton Hall
- 5952 Cogan Hall
- 5967 Bickmarsh Hall