49 entered service on the Great North of Scotland Railway in October 1920 as part of a batch of engines built by the North British Locomotive Co Ltd. It is one of the class that was designated as GNoSR class F as it was one of the later engines which Heywood introduced with superheating as a development of the earlier Pickersgill locomotives.
It spent its working life up to withdrawal for preservation in 1958 working in GNoOR territory. During its life under BR ownership it was based at Kittybrewster until it moved to Keith in June 1951 from where it was withdrawn in June 1958 as the last working member of the class.
It was then restored at Inverurie Works and although it was one of the later superheated batch, it was painted in the pre-Heywood green GNoSR livery (which it never carried as it was built in 1920 after Heywood introduced his black livery) and renumbered 49
It was then based at Glasgow Dawsholm shed and worked on special trains until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum. It is currently on loan to Scottish Railway Museum at Bo’ness on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Glasgow Transport Museum – on loan to Scottish Railway Museum at Bo’ness on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway.||On static display||Glasgow Corporation|
|62277 Gordon Highlander at Auchterless on the Macduff branch – June 1960|
|62277 in front of 123 at Eastfields shed in Glasgow – April 1965|
|62277 Gordon Highlander at Ponfeign near Lanark whilst working at special train from Glasgow Central to Glasgow St Enoch via branch lines in west Scotland – October 1965|
|62277 Gordon Highlander in the Glasgow Pollokshields Museum – April 1973|
|62277 Gordon Highlander in the Riverside Museum in Glasgow – October 2015|