9629 was completed at Swindon Works at the end of 1945 with boiler 8743 installed. It was allocated to Cardiff Canton shed. In 1946 the engine underwent a light overhaul at Caerphilly depot from where it was returned to Cardiff. After covering 91,447 miles 9629 was sent to Caerphilly in 1949 for its first heavy general overhaul. It had another heavy overhaul in 1953 at Swindon after covering 187,949 miles. Upon completion of the overhaul 9629 was allocated to Exeter. The next heavy overhaul was undertaken at Swindon in 1957 by which time the recorded mileage had risen to 280,872 miles. During this overhaul the original boiler was replaced by boiler 8716.9629 then went to Oswestry shed.
The fourth Heavy overhaul of 9629 took place at Easleigh depot in 1961 by which time the mileage was recorded at 385,188 miles. The boiler was again exchanged with boiler 7922 being fitted. The following year 9629 went to Cardiff East Dock shed which had been closed in 1958 but reopened in 1962, it would appear, purely for the purposes of utilising the last steam engines in the area and as a disposal point prior to scrapping.
Records show that in March 1964, 9629 was allocated to Ponypool Road shed but that shed’s records do not record it arriving. It is assumed that although 9629 was allocated to Pontypool it remained on the siding in Cardiff.
9629 was withdrawn in 1964 and sent to Barry scrapyard in 1965. In 1981 it went to Steamtown, Carnforth for a five year cosmetic restoration before being on static display outside the Holiday Inn, Cardiff for nine years. The owners (Marriot Hotel Group) donated it to the Pontypool & Blaenavon Locomotive Group in 1995.
Blaenavon Industrial Landscape was inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000 in recognition of the exceptional testimony to the dynamic forces that drove the Industrial Revolution that is told through the areas heritage assets. The main attractions are the Big Pit National Coal Museum, Blaenavon Ironworks, the World Heritage Centre and Blaenavon Heritage Railway.
9629 is now undergoing restoration at Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway, and its original boiler was acquired in 2012.
The cylinder blocks were successfully hydraulically tested at Williton in August 2016 following repairs to a crack.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway||Under restoration||Pontypool & Blaenavon Locomotive Group|