This locomotive was built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1917 for Bolckow, Vaughan & Co Ltd at Middlesborough. The locomotive was given the name Beatty after navel hero Admiral Sir David Beatty.
In the 1900s, Bolckow, Vaughan was certainly the largest steel producer in Britain, and possibly the largest in the world. In 1905, the firm produced 820,000 tons of pig iron, which was 8.5% of Great Britain’s output, and twice as much as the next largest producer. In 1907 it was one of the largest firms in Britain, with 20,000 employees.
The company had appeared to the public to be in good health during the 1920s, so its sudden collapse in 1929 came as a shock. Bolckow Vaughan, effectively bankrupt, was forced by its bankers into a takeover by Dorman Long, which liquidated it.
Dorman Long steelmaking was absorbed into British Steel in 1967 when the industry was nationalised.
After becoming surplus it was bought to be a museum exhibit but because of space limitations it was stored for thirty years out of public site.
It was then purchased by its current owner and moved to the Telford Steam Railway where it has been stripped down and restoration commenced. It is viewed as a long term project.
|3240 at Sharpes Autos, Raleigh – July 1991|
|3240 at the Telford Steam Railway – November 2014|
|3240 at the Telford Steam Railway – July 2017|