This locomotive was built in 1919 by Hudswell Clarke for Appleby Iron Co Ltd at the Appleby Ironworks at Scunthorpe. It has 15inch x 22inch outside cylinders and 3foot 4inch wheels and weighs 27ton 10cwt.
In October 1934 the company merged with the adjacent Frodingham Iron & Steel Co Ltd to form the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Co Ltd. The two works were merged and modernised and it was renumbered 116 in 1934 and later 76 in 1938.
After the Second World War the locomotive was rebuilt in 1948 by Yorkshire Engine Co Ltd, Sheffield. In February 1952 it was sold to sister company The Renishaw Iron Co Ltd at Renishaw Ironworks in Derbyshire where it was named Renishaw Ironworks No 6. It was registered by the Railway Executive in 1953 to run over British Railways.
In 1961 the locomotive was sold to another sister company the Byfield Ironstone Co Ltd, to work at their Midland Ironstone Mines at Crosby, near Scunthorpe. Here it worked over the rough temporary tracks in the quarries and on the private line leading to Frodingham Iron & Steelworks.
Mining ceased in March 1969 and it was purchased for preservation by RT Robinson and moved to the British Steel Corporation′s Redbourn Works locomotive shed for storage in August 1969 along with Hudswell Clarke Works No 1631. In November 1969 it moved on to the British Railways motive power depot at Doncaster.
By August 1972 both locomotives had moved to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite where Renishaw Ironworks No 6 was returned to steam.
By January 1991 both engines had been moved to Steamtown at Carnforth which.Both locos were looking increasingly derelict when ownership of Steamtown passed to the West Coast Railway Co.
In July 1997, Mick Fairnington of Wooler, Northumberland took pity on Renishaw Ironworks No 6 and moved it to his workshop at Wooler, for restoration.
The locomotive was loaned to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill in March 2004. Following completion of the restoration of the locomotive it was used regularly on the line until October 2012. For a period in 2010 it was loaned to the Beamish Museum to commence their passenger train services.
No 6 was withdrawn from service in October 2012 when the ten year.boiler certificate expired.
It is currently being overhauled at the Tanfield Railway with work on the boiler being undertaken at McEwans at Keighley.