This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in1939 to work at the Nassington Ironstone Quarries near Peterborough which were opened in 1940. The locomotive was used for hauling iron ore tipplers out of the quarries, usually three to four at a time to the dispatch sidings to make up longer trains ready to be picked up to be taken away on the mainline. Here it worked with another preserved Hunslet locomotive (Works No 1982 Ring Haw).
Both of these locomotives worked at the quarry until 1970 when it closed and were therefore the last steam locomotives to work in ironstone quarries in England.
Jacks Green was acquired and moved to the Peterborough Sugar Beet Factory, the base of the Peterborough Railway Society (PRS was the group behind the Nene Valley Railway). The locomotive was steamed there on a number of occasions before it was taken out of service for a complete overhaul.
The overhaul was performed by the apprentices of Peter Brotherhood ltd during the period 1976-77 before it was repainted by PRS members into LNER apple green livery.
It then travelled down the east coast mainline to Peterborough station, where it then travelled down the Fletton loop and up the Nene Valley Railway (NVR) line to Wansford.
During 1980 the locomotive was fitted with an air pump and air breaking equipment so that it could haul passenger trains.
Following withdrawal from service in 1987 the locomotive was on static display at Wansford on the NVR just three miles away from the quarry where it was previously employed.
In October 2019 it was reported that a cosmetic overhaul of the locomotive was being undertaken