Built 1940 North Norfolk Railway
This locomotive was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in1940 to work at the Nassington Ironstone Quarries near Peterborough which were opened that year. The locomotive was used for hauling iron ore tipplers out of the quarries, usually three to four at a time to the dispatch sidings to make up longer trains ready to be picked up to be taken away on the mainline. Here it worked with another preserved Hunslet locomotive (Works No 1953 Jacks Green).
Both of these locomotives worked at the quarry until 1970 when it closed and were therefore the last steam locomotives to work in ironstone quarries in England.
Ring Haw moved to the North Norfolk Railway (NNR) in 1970.
The locomotive was returned to steam after an overhaul in September 2014.
It has spent time away from the NNR including a long term loan period in 2017 on the Spa Valley Railway.
In April 2020 it was announced that the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway Society (M&GNJRS) had purchased the locomotive from the NNR. This move provided the NNR with funds during a period of difficulty due to the railway being closed because of the Covid-19 outbreak. The locomotive will remain on the NNR where it will have its next overhaul which will provide further income for the NNR.
In January 2022 it was reported that work on dismantling the locomotive had started.