This locomotive was built in 1919 by Peckett & Sons and delivered new to the CWS Soap Works near Irlam. The CWS site had railway connections to the Cheshire Lines Committee railway which was the second-largest joint railway in Britain and served many major centres in the north including Liverpool and Manchester. The railway was also connected to the extensive Manchester Ship Canal Railway as well as having its own wharf.
CWS owned rolling stock as well as locomotives and for many years ran a twice-daily service for the work force to coincide with main line train arrivals and departures at Irlam station. The service used an ex-Midland Railways six-wheel carriage, hauled by a Peckett locomotive. The carriage has since been restored and is on display in York Railway Museum.
The Soap Works ceased to use its rail connection in the 1960s.
In 1968 1530 was sold and moved to Falmouth Docks and Engineering where it became No 6. The harbour whilst relatively small is the third deepest natural harbour in the world and the deepest in western Europe. It worked at Falmouth until it was withdrawn from service and given to the Poldark Mine Heritage Complex in 1986.
In 2013 the Poldark venture went bankrupt and the locomotive was sold to the Chasewater Railway. A year later it returned to the Poldark Mine and is now on display there.
|1530 at Falmouth Docks – April 1975|