This B2 class locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1924 and purchased new by the Aberthaw & Bristol Channel Portland Cement Co. for use at its Rhoose works. Here it was given the name Fonmon after a medieval castle in the Vale of Glamorgan.
Rhoose is a coastal village lying some 3 miles west of Barry and 11 miles from Cardiff. By 1920 the local limestone that had previously only been exploited locally became the raw material for the Aberthaw and Bristol Channel Cement Works. The first kiln was built and associated quarries were opened in 1919. In 1935 the Turners Asbestos Cement Company factory was built next to the cement works south of the railway to form a substantial manufacturing development.
After finishing its working life as a stationary boiler it was purchased in 1974 and transferred to Radstock and subsequently to Bitton in 1976.
The locomotive was initially stored at Radstock Station. The plan at that time was that Radstock would be a major part of the initiative to re-open a section of the Somerset and Dorset Railway. The Somerset Railway and Dorset Railway Trust relocated to Washford on the West Somerset Railway in 1976.
When the Radstock project was disbanded the locomotive was moved to Britton on what is now the Avon Valley Railway. It was restored and worked there until its boiler certificate expired in 1990. It was then overhauled and ran again until 2009.
In September 2016 the locomotive moved to the Ribble Steam Railway where it is planned to return it to steam again.
|1636 at Tunbridge Wells West – July 2012|