This class M5 locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1936 and originally worked for the South Wales Public Wharf & Transit Company in Penarth. This company was established in 1885 and operated until 1984.
The locomotive was bought for preservation by Roger Collins who sold it to John Jones December 1977 whilst it was based at a private property in Peterston-super-Ely in the Vale of Glamorgan.
In December 1977 the locomotive became the first engine to arrive at Bronwydd Arms on the Gwili Railway although it never steamed there.
The locomotive was given the name Little Lady by the mother of the owner of 1903 and this is the name it was known by at the Gwili Railway although the engine never carried it.
The owner moved the locomotive to his depot at Carmarthen in March 1978. It was sold in 1995 to enable the owner to purchase Ivatt tank engine 41312.
The locomotive spent time at the Chasewater Railway and at the Ministry of Defence depot at Long Marston where the Stratford & Broadway Railway Society operated on an area within the site. The Stratford & Broadway Railway Society was established with the aim of re-opening the line from Stratford upon Avon to Honeybourne railway station with a later extension planned to Broadway. In 2010 the society was dissolved as it was clear that there was no chance of achieving their aims in the foreseeable future. (The Industrial Locomotives including preserved and minor railway locomotives published by the Industrial Railway Society in 2006 identifies Works No 1903 Little Lady as being at Long Marston).
In 2007 the locomotive moved to Chatham Historic Dockyard where it was returned to steam in 2010.
In November 2021 the ownership of the locomotive changed and it is now based permanently at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. It has been repainted for protection whilst it awaits its turn in the workshop for its 10 yearly overhaul.