This locomotive was built by Peckett & Sons in 1939 and supplied to Ashington Coal Company in Northumberland as one of two standard locomotives. It then carried the number 5.
Ashington Coal Company operated one of Britain’s most extensive colliery railway systems.
The coal industry was nationalised in January 1947 and the locomotive passed into National Coal Board (NCB) ownership.
In 1969 the locomotive was sold by the National Coal Board to the North Norfolk Railway when the system was converted to diesel.
The locomotive returned to Northumberland in 1991 when it was bought by the Stephenson Railway Museum. It was repainted into the “as delivered to Ashington Colliery” livery and additionally named in honour of Jackie Milburn (1924-1988), a local football hero who was born in Ashington and played for Newcastle.
It was taken out of service in December 1996 and after a four-year restoration project it was returned to working order in October 2010.
The locomotive was taken out of service again at the end of 2018 and its mechanical overhaul started in April 2019.