This locomotive was built in 1944, to a Hunslet Engine Company design, by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the Ministry of Defence.
See LNER class J94 for details.
1944 and was delivered new to the War Department.
In 1947 the locomotive was sold to the National Coal Board (NCB) to work in Northumberland, from where it was then transferred to Cynheidre Colliery near Llanelli which opened in 1954.
Cynheidre was developed by the National Coal Board as part of the investments after the Second World War to keep coal mining as a viable economic industry. Between 1954 and 1956 the first of four shafts was sunk to a depth of 760 yards. By 1960 the colliery employed 650 men.
It was known that the coal field suffered from methane gas intrusion and in April 1971 six miners died in the worst outbreak of methane gas and fine coal dust to take place in Britain.
From 1976 until 1980 the locomotive was kept as a source of spares at Pontarddulais near Swansea, before being saved by the Welsh Industrial & Maritime Museum.
The locomotive was restored at Bronwydd Arms on the Gwili Railway with the aid of parts from other locomotives. The boiler is from Hunslet Works No 3822 and the cab from Bagnall Works No 2758.
The locomotive carries its war department number 71516 and was named Welsh Guardsman in a special ceremony at Bronwydd Arms. Following an overhaul at Llangollen the locomotive is now privately owned by Felinfoel Brewery and was rededicated at a ceremony at Bronwydd Arms on in June 2014.
The locomotive is currently operational on the Gwili Railway.
|7170 at the Gwili Railway – October 2017|