The locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay with 15in x 22in outside cylinders, 3ft 5in diameter wheels and weighed 32 tons 10cwt.
This locomotive was built in 1904 and entered service as No1 Horden at The Horden Collieries Ltd in County Durham. This company owned Blackhall, Horden and Shotton Collieries and the locomotives they owned moved around between the collieries. No1 was once moved by road in steam, over four track panels at a time, between Shotton and Horden Collieries, to avoid high North Eastern Railway movement charges.
On the nationalisation of the coal industry in January 1947 it was based at Shotton where it became a National Coal Board (NCB) locomotive.
It was then moved to Horden Colliery on the coast in 1955, returning around 1957 and was fitted with a new welded steel firebox by its builders in 1962. In June 1969 it was sent north to Ashington Central Workshops in Northumberland, for overhaul, the only NCB Durham Area steam loco ever sent there.
By May 1970 it had returned and continued its duties in company with STAGSHAW, which is also preserved at Tanfield. Whilst at Shotton Colliery it collided head-on with a BR Q6 0-8-0, which came off worst in the encounter and it still carries its bent front buffer beam to this day. In September 1972 Shotton Colliery closed and No.1 was sold to the Stephenson Hawthorn Locomotive Trust and moved to NCB Backworth Colliery in Northumberland, for storage in November 1972. In May 1976 it moved to NCB Burradon Colliery for a further period of storage and then back to Backworth Colliery, before moving to Marley Hill in June 1980.
In 2011-2012, Horden was assessed for suitability for restoration, including a thorough boiler and mechanical examination. Following the assessment, the restoration began in the first half of 2012. The boiler was lifted out of the frames in 2012. In March 2013, the wheels were removed from the frames.
The locomotive is based on the Tanfield Railway where it is still being restored at Marley Hill.