This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1939 and was employed at collieries in Wales based at Mountain Ash.
The locomotive was given the name Llantarnam Abbey after an abbey of the Sisters of St Joseph of Annecy and a former Cistercian monastery located in Llantarnam. The name was no longer present when the locomotive went for repairs at the National Coal Board (NCB) workshop at Walkden in Lancashire in May 1971. The locomotive returned to Mountain Ash in September 1971 initially incorrectly written as Llantanam Abbey but was corrected some time after July 1975.
The locomotive was still present at Mountain Ash in early 1979.
It was acquired in preservation by the Swansea Vale Railway Preservation Society.
The locomotive is now based on the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway where it was restored to full working order. It is currently under overhaul.
In January 2021 it was reported that the frames would be moved to the West Somerset restoration at Williton where the restoration of the Chassis is expected to be completed over the next 15-18 months.