This locomotive was built in 1891 for the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners by Robert Stephenson & Co as works number 2738.
The railway at the port had connections to 5ft 3in gauge railways (The Great Northern and the Northern Counties Committee) and 3ft narrow gauge railways (County Donegal Railways Joint Committee and Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway). In order to service these railways the dual gauge track was laid at the port and the locomotives had to be able to couple to narrow and standard gauge waggons. The dual track included the line over the river Foyle on the lower deck of the Craigavon Bridge.
By the 1920s the port boasted two miles of quays, with warehouses, stationary and mobile cranes, and with railways along the entire length connected to the four rail systems serving the city. The port had regular cross-channel services to Great Britain, and steamer services to North America.
This is one of two locomotives that were employed by the Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners. That have been preserved. The other is Avonside Engine Co works number 2021 No 3 R H Smyth.
The Stephenson engine was in service at the harbour until 1962 when it was withdrawn from service.
It is now on static display at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra near Belfast.