|Introduced||1899 (Kitson build) and 1897 (Taff Vale Railway Cardiff West build)|
|Driving Wheels||4ft 6.5in|
|Cylinders||Inside – 17.5ns x 26in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson (slide valve)|
Nine Taff Vale Railway class 02 locomotives were built in 1897-1899 of which one has been preserved. All were withdrawn from traffic between 1926 and 1928.
426 (GWR 426 & TV85)
85 was the first member of the Taff Vale Railway O2 class built by Neilson Reid of Glasgow in 1899.
When the Taff Vale Railway was taken over by the GWR in 1922 the engine (renumbered GWR 426) soon became surplus to requirements as the GWR had a policy of standardisation. In 1927 the engine was withdrawn and in 1929 the engine was sold to the Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Colliery Co. in County Durham to haul coal trains between the inland collieries and the coast. It was originally stationed at Sunderland.
When the coal industry was nationalised in 1947 it became NCB No. 52 based at the Philadelphia depot at Houghton-le-Spring. It remained in service there until 1968 when diesels took over the work and was acquired by the Midland & Great Northern Railway Preservation Society. It was then sold to the Keighley & Worth Valley Preservation Society without it ever having been removed from Philadelphia and arrived on the Worth Valley Railway in December 1970.
The engine was rebuilt for work in Durham colliery lines, involving a reduction in the size of the upper cab and modifications of the bunker, but was otherwise pretty much it its original state.
85 was re-built to its original outline by a group of Worth Valley volunteers in the 1990′s and gave good service until withdrawal in 2010 when the boiler ticket expired. An overhaul of the locomotive at Haworth was completed in 2016 and it re-entered service again on the KWVR.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley & Worth Valley Railway||Operational||Keighley & Worth Valley Preservation Society|