1450 was built at Swindon in July 1935 – Withdrawn from Exmouth shed in May 1965
1450 was built by the GWR at Swindon in 1935 as no 4850 at a cost of £2255, including £497 for the boiler, and spent much of her working life shedded at Oxford working the Abingdon branch. In January 1952, it was moved to Slough shed, where it remained until 1961 when it returned to Oxford.
In 1962 it came west to Exeter and then Taunton in 1963 before transfer to the Southern Region and being tried on the steeply graded former London & South Western Railway Axminster to Lyme Regis branch. 1450 was withdrawn from Exmouth Junction shed in May 1965, having covered 823,012 miles, and purchased by the Dart Valley Railway and moved to Buckfastleigh.
It became one of the mainstays of the line in the early days of preservation and worked throughout the seventies and eighties between Buckfastliegh and Totnes, before being sold by the DVR to Mike Little and Barry Cordell in 1991.
It then spent ten years on the Dean Forest Railway before moving to the Severn Valley Railway in 2014.
It has now restored it to main line standards and teamed it up with auto coach no 178. 1450 can now been seen at a number of preserved railways throughout the country but is currently based at the Severn Valley Railway although it is too small to be used there on a regular basis.
The locomotive will remain at Bridgnorth until its boiler ticket expires in April 2020 although there is a possibility that this may be extended by a year.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Severn Valley Railway||Operational||Pull Push Ltd|