This locomotive was built in 1954 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the British Electricity Authority (BEA). It was built with 14in x 22in outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and weighing 28 tons.
The locomotive was one of two delivered new in December 1954 to the BEA Stella South Power Station at Blaydon which became operational in the same month. The power station gained its name from a manor house that had been demolished earlier and replaced by a housing estate some time before the power station was constructed.
The Stella South Power Station was built on the site of the Blaydon Races. Blaydon Races which was written by Ridley in the 19th century became a Geordie folk song which is regarded by many people as the unofficial anthem of Tyneside.
BEA became the Central Electricity Authority in April 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) in January 1958.
Coal was delivered to the twenty-two sidings at the power station from the access on the on the Newcastle to Carlisle line.
During the 1970s the steam locomotives were replaced by diesel locomotives and in May 1973 7796 began its life in preservation at Marley Hill on the Tanfield Railway.
The locomotive has been restored at Marley Hill but is currently being stored.
|7796 at the Tanfield Railway – August 2018|