This locomotive was built in 1880 at the Inchicore works of the GS&WR in Dublin. It retained its original 101 class smaller saturated boiler throughout its life unlike 186 which was fitted with a superheated boiler and Belpaire firebox in 1932.
184 was still attached to a smaller (1,864 gallon) tender when withdrawn from service.
184 was withdrawn from service in 1963 and acquired by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) was formed was formed the following year.
The locomotive has operated on the main line during preservation during the period 1978 to 1988. At times the locomotive has been attached to the larger tender from classmate 186 to increase its coal and water capacity whilst on main line duties.
The locomotive is now stored under cover at the RPSI’s Whitehead Railway Museum.
The locomotive is complete, but needs a new front tubeplate and work done on a seriously corroded cylinder block. Its tender tank will also need to be replaced. As the requirement is now for larger locomotives to work railtours it is unlikely to steam again in the foreseeable future. The plans is that the locomotive will be cosmetically restored for display at the Whitehead Railway Museum.