|Weight – Loco||36t 16cwt|
|Driving Wheels||5ft 2ins|
|Cylinders||Inside – 17in x 24in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson (slide valve)|
This was Dean’s standard 0-6-0 engine for mixed traffic work on the GWR. A total of 280 were built at Wolverhampton between 1883 and 1899, numbered 2301 – 2580 and the first was withdrawn in 1907.Twenty of the class were built with outside frames with the remainder having inside frames.Most of the class receiverd domed Belpaire boilers from 1911 onwards. In addition nearly all of the class were fitted with superheaters.
Some locomotives had slightly larger cylinders.
Twenty locomotives were rebuilt as 2-6-2T engines for working in the Birmingham area. These were known as 3900 class and were all withdrawn between 1930 and 1934.
62 locomotives were taken over by the Government in the First World War and sent to France in 1917. Of these 46 returned to Britain in 1919 whilst the remaining 16 were sent to Salonika in Greece. Of these 16 8 returned to Britain in 1921. Of the other 8, 6 were written-off and 2 were sold to the Ottoman (Aiden) Railways where on survived until the 1950s.
In the Second World War 108 locomotives (including some which had recently been withdrawn and 32 which had seen service overseas in the First World War). These engines were fitted with Westinghouse brakes and 10 were fitted with pannier tanks and condensing gear. At the time of the German invasion of France, 79 of these engines had been shipped to France. Some of the engines were destroyed in the retreat to Dunkirk whilst the remainder were used on the French railways by the German occupation forces. After the war, between 22 and 26 engines were sent to China under UNRRA auspices, and 30 were returned to the UK, but were deemed unfit for service and scrapped. No.2435 (WD no.188) was used in Silesia and then Austria until 1948 when it was claimed by the Russians before being handed back to the Austrians in 1952. Two further engines, nos. 2419 and 2526 (WD nos. 106 and 132) were
Used by “Gedob” The General Direktion for the German Ost Bahn headquartered in Krakow. The Ostbahn included Direktions in Occupied Poland, Ukraine, Crimea and The Baltic States. All being converted to standard guage by the Gedob. Ostbahn regions in the former Soviet Union included RVD Riga, RVD Minsk, RVD Kiev, RVD Poltawa (Rostow) and RVD Djnepropetropwsk (Crimea). Ostbahn Direktions in occupied Soviet territory were closed as the Soviet Advance moved towards Berlin between 1942 and the end of 1944. WD 132 was noted in 1945 in store at Hassfurt (Bavaria). Various locations in North Bavaria were used for storage at this time including locomotives and rolling stock (by 1945 the Ostbahn HQ was located in Bayreuth (Bavaria). No 132 was shown amongst the stock inventory of the Deutsche Bundesbahn in 1950 allocated to Aachen West Depot (Stored as withdrawn).
Of the engines that remained in Britain, most of them worked at War Department and Ordnance depots around the country, though in 1943, 6 were shipped to Tunisia and thence to Italy.
The first withdrawal was made by the GWR in October 1928, with locomotive number 2365 from Hereford shed.
Fifty-four locomotives passed to British Railways in 1948, mostly being used on Welsh branch lines due to their light axle loads. The class 2301 locomotives were progressively replaced by new BR standard class 2 2-6-0 engines.
|78000 standard class 2 – built 1952 – 56|
By 1955 only four remained in service: 2474 withdrawn in April 1955 from Reading shed, 2513 withdrawn July 1955 from Brecon shed, 2516 withdrawn May 1956 from Oswestry shed. The class survived until May 1957 when 2538 was withdrawn from Oswestry shed.