|Designer||Riddle & Hunslet Engine Company|
|Weight||48t 5cwt – as built as 0-6-0ST|
|Driving Wheels||4ft 3in|
|Cylinders||Inside – 18in x 26in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson – (slide valve)|
This locomotive was built as works no 2890 in 1943 by Hunslet Engine Company at Leeds as an austerity 0-6-0ST. It then entered service with the War Department as WD 75041.
When built the locomotive was the same as the LNER class J94.
It was delivered new to the War Department Transportation Stores Depot at Richborough in Kent in December 1943.
In April 1944 it was repaired in the Southern Railway works at Brighton where it was fitted with Westinghouse brakes.
It was renumbered 107 when it moved to the Longmoor Military in June 1944 for hauling passenger trains. It was later given the name Foggia.
In the early 1960s the locomotive was withdrawn from service and sold back to Hunslet for modifications.
In 1964 the locomotive was rebuilt by the Hunslet Engine Company and then became Works Number 3882. The rebuild was the result of a bid to meet stringent restrictions on smoke emissions.
The Argentinian, Ing. L.D.Porta was commissioned by the Hunslet company to design certain modifications. Following the company becoming aware of Porta technology when, unsuccessfully, bidding for the contract to build the second batch of 75cm gauge 2-10-2 locomotives for RFIRT, Argentina.
Research suggests the locomotives may not have been quite as Porta would have wished. It is felt something could have been lost ‘in the translation’ between Argentina and the UK. However despite some shortcomings these locomotives did serve an important purpose in the development of steam. They were the very first application of Porta’s work outside of his native Argentina.
The rebuild involved fitting a form of Kylpor ejector system and the provision of a underfeed stoker with a modification the coal bunker to allow a hopper feed to the stoker.
Locomotive No.3883 was sent to BR Swindon in late January 1963 and for a week in February 1963 it was utilised as Swindon MPD pilot locomotive. This period allowed experiments to be undertaken with various coal sizes. Later in February the locomotive was formally handed over to the BR Research Department (Swindon) for controlled road test. The testing was undertaken over the approximately 18 miles stretch of mainline between Yarnton and Kingham on the Oxford – Worcester mainline, today called the Cotswold Line.
Tests on Works Number 3883 demonstrated significant improvements over a standard locomotive with a steaming rate of 12,000lbs/hour being achieved compared with 6,000lbs/hour for an unmodified locomotive.A maximum output of 898hp was recorded, a very impressive figure for what was a shunting locomotive. These tests were the last time a steam locomotive was formally tested by British Railways with a dynamometer car.
After modification and renumbering as No 3882 in 1962, it was bought by the National Coal Board and allocated to Maesteg washery until withdrawal in 1973. Here, it gained the name Maureen.
In 1976, Maureen was purchased privately for preservation and taken to Bristol to work on the Bristol Suburban Railway at Bitton, It then moved to the Dart Valley Railway in 1978. Restoration was completed on the South Devon Railway in 1984 when the locomotive was renamed Barbara in memory of the wife of Dave Phelps, one of the then owners.
The locomotive was purchased for use on the Mid Hants Railway in the late 1990s.
The locomotive was then rebuilt and converted from a saddle tank to an 0-6-0 tender engine. This enabled it to be used as “Douglas” from the Thomas the Tank Engine stories. The tender frame was formerly LMS Fowler 3,500 gallon tender which had been purchased from British Railways.
After several years on the Mid Hants Railway the locomotive was sold to a private owner and was subsequently moved to the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in 2012.
As part of an overhaul at the Ribble Steam Railway so cosmetic changes to its appearance where made to make it look more authentic.
The locomotive returned to steam numbered 2890 at the Ribble Steam Railway in September 2017.
The locomotive is to be based on the East Lancashire Railway although from June 2020 until March 2021 it will operate on the Spa Valley Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|East Lancashire Railway||Operational||Andy Booth|