30830 was built at Eastleigh in 1927 and remained in service until withdrawn in 1964 and sent to Woodham Brothers for scrap in 1964. Whilst in service it was based at Salisbury for almost all of its life under BR ownership. The exception being the period from December 1963 when it was moved to Feltham and July 1964 when it was withdrawn from service.
It was purchased for use on the Bluebell Railway in 1987 but restoration work did not start as the Maunsell Society already had another S15 (30847) and other locomotives which they were working on. When the opportunity arose for the Maunsell Locomotive Society to purchase a Schools class locomotive it was felt that this would give the society a better balance collection, and so 30830 was sold to raise funds for the purchase of the Schools class Stowe.
30830 was thus sold to the Essex Locomotive Society and moved to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
It is currently being restored away from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Under restoration||Essex Locomotive Society|
- 30499 (LSWR 499, SR E499, SR 499 & BR 30499)
- 30506 (LSWR 506, SR E506, SR 506 & BR 30506)
- 30825 (SR 825 & BR 30825)
- 30828 (SR 828 & BR 30828)
- 30841 (SR 841 & BR 30841)
- 30847 (SR 847 & BR 30847)