34105 Swanage was built at Brighton Works in 1950.
BR motive power depot allocations.
Whilst based at Bournemouth, as well as performing on Waterloo – Bournmouth expresses it also worked to Bath over the Somerset and Dorset line.
In 1951 Swanage hauled the inaugural Royal Wessex from Weymouth to Waterloo.
In September 1959 whilst working a Bournemouth West to Newcastle train the locomotive caught fire at Pokesdown near Bounemouth.
When it was withdrawn in October 1964, having covered 623,405 miles in service, it was sold to Woodham Brothers at Barry for scrap where it arrived in February 1965. It remained there until March 1978 when it was purchased for preservation by Richard Hedder and moved to the Mid Hants Railway at Alresford.
It was restored to steam again in 1987 on the Mid Hants Railway and ran for ten years until withdrawn for overhaul. For a long time Swanage was stored out in the open at Ropley but has now been moved into the locomotive shed there for overhaul.
It was anticipated in 2018 that the locomotive would be returned to steam by mid 2021 or earlier
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Mid Hants Railway||Under overhaul||Richard Hedder|
- 34007 Wadebridge (SR 21C107, BR s21C107 & BR 34007)
- 34010 Sidmouth (SR 21C2110, BR s21C110 & BR 34010)
- 34016 Bodmin (SR 21C2116, BR sc1C116 & BR 34016)
- 34023 Blackmoor Vale (SR 21C123 & BR 34023)
- 34027 Taw Valley (SR 21C127 & BR 34027)
- 34028 Eddystone (SR 21C128 & BR 34028)
- 34039 Boscastle (SR 21C139 & BR 34039)
- 34046 Braunton (SR 21C146, BR s21C146 & BR 34046)
- 34051 Winston Churchill (SR 21C151 & BR 34051)
- 34053 Sir Keith Park (SR 21C153 & BR 34053)
- 34058 Sir Frederick Pile (SR 21C158, BR s21C158 & BR 34058)
- 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair (SR 21C159, BR s21C159 & BR 34059)
- 34067 Tangmere (SR 21C167, BR s21C167 & BR 34067)
- 34070 Manston (SR 21C170, BR s21C170 & BR 34070)
- 34072 257 Squadron
- 34073 249 Squadron
- 34081 92 Squadron
- 34092 Wells/City of Wells
- 34101 Hartland