|Power Classification||Not classified|
|Weight – Loco||55t 6cwt|
|Driving Wheels||6ft 8.5ins|
|Boiler Pressure||200psi superheated|
|Cylinders||Four – 18in x 26in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson (slide valve)|
There were originally twenty locomotives in this class, ten (including 3440 City of Truro) being built in 1903, at a cost of £1,957, and ten others being converted from the Atbara class in 1902 onwards. The Atbara class of forty locomotives were built by late 1901 and in September 1902 3405 Mauritius was rebuilt and became the first of the City class. Another nine Atbara engines were rebuilt as City class locomotives between 1907 and 1909.
They were double framed locomotives with straight frames and they were all named after cities. They were subsequently superheated.
City of Truro is one of only two surviving double-framed 4-4-0 locomotives. The history of double framed engines is extremely complex although the first standard gauge 4-4-0 built by the GWR was completed in 1895. The GWR was the only major British railway to persist with the by then archaic practice of double framing in the 20th century, continuing new construction until 1910, and technically building new examples from existing parts (boilers and frames) even as late as 1938-9.
|Dukedog or Earl class introduced on the GWR by Collet in 1936|
|City class introduced on the GWR by Churchward in 1903|
The city class were capable of high speeds. In July 1903 3433 City of Bath was reported to have covered the 240 miles from London to Plymouth at an average speed of 63.2mph. Over the 90 miles between Langley and Bath the average speed was 72mph with a top speed of 81mph at Chippenham.
In May 1904 it was claimed that 3440 City of Truro was the first steam locomotive to achieve a speed of over 100mph when it achieved 102.3mph whilst descending Wellington Bank.
The first of the City class was withdrawn from service in 1927 and by 1930 only three remained (including City of Truro).