|Company||Great Southern & Western Railway|
|Driving Wheels||6ft 0ins|
|Cylinders||Inside – 15in x 20in|
Built in Liverpool in1848 by Bury, Curtis & Kennedy Ltd for the Great Southern & Western Railway (GS&WR) at a cost of £1,955.
Bury, Curtis & Kennedy was established in 1826 under the name of Edward Bury and Company and built their first engine in 1830 ran on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway but was soon sold to the Bolton & Leigh Railway. They refined their designs and resulting 2-2-0 and 0-4-0 locomotives quickly became standards which many other manufacturers emulated. Two examples of locomotives built by the firm have been preserved. In addition to this GS&WR engine Furness Railway No 3 Cobbernob has been preserved as part of the National Railway Collection.
No 36 was described in the company records of the builders as being a “Bury haystack dome” type. The firebox was copper, fitted with bar crown stays, and screwed iron stays in the water spaces. In addition to the doming of the firebox wrapper-plate, the back-head of the firebox was semi-circular. The frames were of the forged bar type, with the cylinders inside. The broad gauge of the Irish railways favouring this arrangement.
The GS&WR was established in 1844 and expanded by building new lines and taking over a number of organisations so that at its peak it had a network of over 1,000 miles of which 240 miles was double tracked. The core of the railway was the Dublin Kingsbridge – Cork main line. In 1924 the GS&WR was merged with a number of other railway companies to form the Great Southern Railway.
This locomotive covered 487,919 miles in a quarter of a century of service with GS&WR when it was withdrawn in 1874.
It was withdrawn from service in January 1874 after which the GS&WR put it on a pedestal at their locomotive works at Inchicore for permanent preservation as an example of good workmanship.
In 1925 the locomotive was exhibited at the Stockton and Darlington Railway centenary celebrations. Five years later it was displayed at the bi-centenary of the Royal Dublin Society at Ballsbridge.
The locomotive has been on static display at Cork Kent railway station since 1950.
which was called Glanmire Road station when it was the termini for the GS&WR and the Cork & Youghai Railway.