3862 was built at Swindon in 1942 and was at first based at Oxford where it was utilised to move essential wartime materials. In October 1947 it was transferred to Pontypool Road where it was based when the railways were nationalised.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Pontypool Road|
|December 1953||Plymouth Laira|
|July 1962||Cardiff Canton|
|August 1962||Cardiff East Dock|
|September 1963||Croes Newydd|
3862 was withdrawn from service in February 1965 and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry. It arrived in the scrapyard in July 1965 where it remained until August 1987 following its purchase by the LNWR Preservation Society.
It is now located on the Northampton & Lamport Railway but is yet to run in preservation.
By the end of 2018 the owner had collected most of the missing parts of the locomotive but was still seeking a set of coupling rods.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Northampton & Lamport Railway||Undergoing restoration||Andrew Cole|