Built at Swindon in 1936 and initially allocated in October of that year to Severn Tunnel Junction to undertake tunnel banking duties. Two months later it was moved to the Wolverhampton district where it stayed for most of the next 26 years.
It operated on the intensive local passenger services from Birmingham Snow Hill and Moor Street stations to Leamington Spa, Stratford upon Avon and Warwickshire in general.
In March 1942 until April 1943 it was based at Birkenhead before returning to the Birmingham area.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Stafford Road|
|September 1961||Tyseley (stored from March 1962)|
|May 1965||Severn Tunnel Junction|
Whilst at Taunton 4110 was deployed on the branch line to Minehead which is now the West Somerset Railway.
Whilst at Neath it worked the Vale of Neath line to Pontypool Road on its last day of passenger services in June 1964.
It was withdrawn in June 1965 during the conversion from steam to diesel haulage, having run over 730,000 miles in mainline service.
It was sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry and entered the scrapyard in August 1965. It remained in the Woodhams scrapyard at Barry until May 1979 following its purchase for preservation by the Great Western Preservation Group at Southall Railway Centre. It was the 100th locomotive to leave the Barry scrapyard.
4110 then moved to the Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley for contract restoration. Only a partial amount of restoration was completed before the owners decided to put the engine up for sale in order to release funds for the completion of work on 5700 class engine 9682.
The West Somerset Railway put in a competitive tender and bought 4110 in 2015 and the locomotive was then moved to Minehead in June 2015.
West Somerset General Manager Paul Conibeare said – “The purchase of 4110 is part of a long term strategy to secure a fleet of suitable locomotives to take the WSR forward into the 21st century. As it has not steamed since June 1965 will be a considerable amount of restoration work to be completed before it is able to enter service between Bishops Lydeard and Minehead and at this stage with the workshops committed to 9351 and 88 we will not predict when the entry into service may occur.”
In 2016 it was estimated that it would take three to five years once the funds and resources to undertake the work is available. It is owned by WSR plc who plan to have it in traffic in 2022.
With no work having been done on the locomotive by May 2018 consideration was being given by the West Somerset Railway to a possible sale of the locomotive. Any sale would be conditional on the locomotive being hired back to the WSR once it was restored.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|West Somerset Railway||Awaiting restoration||West Somerset Railway plc|
||4110 at Tyseley-4110
4110 at Minehead on the West Somerset Railway-2016