4141 was built at Swindon and entered service in 1946 and spent its entire working life based at Cheltenham.
It was withdrawn in February 1963 and reached Barry in November 1964.
In 1970 Severn Valley Railway (SVR) member Peter Waite expressed an interest in purchasing the locomotive and a reservation was placed on it. With financial assistance from the Hampton Loade Locomotive Fund 4141 was moved to Bewdley in a convoy of four engines in January 1973. The four were 4141, 4930 Hagley Hall, 5164 and 7819 Hinton Manor.
A few months later was moved to an isolated piece of track at Hampton Loade where restoration work began. However progress was slow and had effectively stalled by 1988 when the locomotive was sold and moved away from the SVR.
It steamed again on the Llangollen Railway in 1998 and moved to the Great Central Railway in 2003 where it operated until it was taken out of service around 2009 for boiler repairs.
Following an overhaul at Llangollen the locomotive 4141 moved to the Epping Ongar Railway in December 2012.
A the end of 2016 it was awaiting an overhaul but early in 2017 it was sent to Locomotive Maintenance Services at Loughborough for repairs in order to obtain a new ten year boiler certificate.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Epping Ongar Railway||Under overhaul||Privately owned|
|4141 in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry – October 1968|
|4141 on the Epping & Ongar Railway – June 2015|