13159 was built at Crewe in 1930.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Stockport Edgeley|
It was withdrawn from traffic at Birkenhead and sent to Woodham Brothers for scrap in 1966. It remained there until 1986 when it was bought and moved to Hull Dairycoates.
It subsequently moved to the former RAF site at Binbrook, in Lincolnshire, where it has been stored in a dismantled state since 1995 whilst the owner undertook its restoration.
However, in 2012, after the driving wheels and tender frame were removed without the owner’s permission, an injunction was obtained to prevent any further removal of parts. The driving wheels were later discovered by the police during a raid of a nearby industrial unit in an unrelated operation; the owner of the premises was served with a notice preventing the wheels’ removal. In June 2013, it was announced that the matter had been classified as a civil dispute by Lincolnshire Police and will have to be pursued through the courts. The boiler and frames were removed from storage in Binbrook under police supervision and moved to a secret location. Legal proceedings for the return of the wheels and tender frame are underway. The boiler was subsequently cut up in a Nottingham scrapyard having been sold by the owner to pay for the costs of moving it from Binbrook. The owner stated that the boiler was beyond economic repair and that he has retained sufficient parts to allow a replacement to be built. The wheels remain at Binbrook under a court order.
In October 2018 it was revealed that the frames of the locomotive had been moved to the East Lancs Railway a short time earlier. The reason for the move is unknown but the frames were not acquired by the East Lancs Railway.
In early 2019 some of the details of the last few years events around the locomotive became clearer. As noted earlier there were problems with ther owner and the storage of the locomotive frames. Following the legal problems in 2012 the locomotive frames were moved to the Tuxford premises of Hutchinson Engineering Ltd for storage and as already noted the boiler was sold for scrap to a Nottingham firm. The tender had previously been cu up by a local scrap merchant in 2012 and the wheels removed.
In 2015 the proprietor of the site at Tuxford needed to remove the frames to clear space but was unable to contact the owner of the frames who had moved to Australia. The owner has never replied or paid the storage charges due which are said to amount to £20,000.
The frames were then acquired from the proprietor by an enthusiast and the driving wheels were recovered. They were then moved to a private site in Greater Manchester before going to the East Lancs Railway in September 2018. The current owner hopes to return the locomotive to steam but regards it as a long-term project.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|East Lancs Railway||In pieces but boiler has been cut up||Private|