As 3924, 43924 was built at Derby in 1911 and survived with BR until withdrawn in 1965 although it was placed in store out of service for a period in 1962.
As 3924 it was based at Wellingborough in 1925 but no other early allocations are known.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Gloucester Barnwood|
|August 1962||Bristol Barrow Road|
Following withdrawal from service in July 1965 43924 was sold for scrap and arrived at Woodham Brothers scrapyard in October 1965. It was the first locomotive to leave for preservation in September 1968 some four months before the next engine was saved for preservation.
It was toed from Barry to Keighley over two days by diesel locomotives (D1699, D338, D373 and D6946). The final journey to Haworth occurred a few days later when it was hauled by ex Manchester Ship Canal locomotive No 31 (Hudswell Clarke Works No 679).
It is interesting to note that the contract between British Railways and Woodham Brothers required the locomotive to be cut up for scrap and the subsequent buyers had to negotiate with British Railways to overcome this contractual requirement placed on Woodham Brothers. British Railways were also against any insignia appearing on the locomotive which implied it was a BR engine and this had also to be discussed with BR. The outcome of the discussions with BR became a basis for subsequent preservation projects. (The Barry Story)
It was purchased by the Midland 4F Society and in 1970 it became the first ex Barry engine to steam again.
The locomotive was selected for preservation because in late 1966 the owners felt that a Midland 4F should be preserved. At that time only four members of the class remained and were all at Barry. 43924 was chosen because it was the only Midland Railway representative as the other three had been built under LMS management.
The small tubes in the boiler subsequently failed but after re-tubing it returned to service in 1974 and performed regularly on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (KWVR) until 1987 when its boiler certificate expired.
In 1990 the locomotive was purchased by the KWVR from the Midland 4F Society.
43924 returned to service on the KWVR in 2011 after a thorough overhaul.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley & Worth Valley Railway||Operational||Keighley & Worth Valley Railway|