5110 was built in 1935 by the Vulcan Foundry. It was built with a low-degree superheat domeless boiler and still carries a domeless boiler. It became 45110 following the nationalisation of the railways and forming of British Railways in 1948.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|July 1966||Lostock Hall|
45110 hauled the Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Victoria and return legs of the Fifteen Guinea Special on the 11th August 1968. 45305 was allocated to handle this section of the railtour but failed the night before with a collapsed firebox brick arch and was replaced by 45110.
After hauling the Fifteen Guinea Special, 45110 was purchased for preservation by David Porter’s Stanier Black Five Preservation Society late in 1968.
It was towed from Lostock Hall to Ashford in January 1969 where it occasionally was placed on show. After deciding that the locomotive should have a more active role it was considered that the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) would be a good home for it. As a result over a few days in August 1970 the engine was moved as part of a number of freight trains to Bridgnorth. It operated on the SVR in 1970 and after hydraulic testic over the winter returned to service again in 1971. In September 1971 it was named RAF Biggin Hill and at this time it was approved for running on BR track.
In 1974 it was purchased by the SVR(H).
It operated on the SVR between 1970 and 1980 and again from 1998 until 2008.
It has hauled main line steam specials on the national rail network, but the locomotive’s main line certification lapsed in 2008. It had been hoped to run 45110 on the 2008 recreation of the Fifteen Guinea Special, but this was not possible as the engine ticket expired on 15 August, the same day as the Fifteen Guinea Special re-run. The locomotive was taken out of service on that date at Bewdley.
In 2009, 45110 was placed on static display at Barrow Hill Roundhouse to take advantage of the available under cover storage. It remained there until it returned to the SVR in September 2013 to go on static display in the Engine House at Highley. In 2010 its tender was used with 42968 as its tender wheels were in need of work. 45110 regained its own tender again in 2012.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Severn Valley Railway||On static display in the Engine House at Highley||SVR(H)|
|45110 on the turntable at Rose Grove – 1st August 1968|
|45110 hauls the 15 Guinea special through Edge Hill cutting – August 1968|
|45110 in the Engine House at Highley on the Severn Valley Railway-2015|
- 44767 (LMS 4767 & BR 44767)
- 44806 (LMS 4806 & BR 44806)
- 44871 (LMS 4871 & BR 44871)
- 44901 (LMS 4901 & BR 44901)
- 44932 (LMS 4932 & BR 44932)
- 45000 (LMS 5000 & BR 45000)
- 45025 (LMS 5025 & BR 45025)
- 45163 (LMS 5163 & BR 45163)
- 45212 (LMS 5212 &BR 45212)
- 45231 (LMS 5231 & BR 45231)
- 45293 (LMS 5293 &BR 45293)
- 45305 (LMS 5305 & BR 45305)
- 45337 (LMS 5337 & BR 45337)
- 45379 (LMS 5379 & BR 45379)
- 45407 (LMS 5407 &BR 45407)
- 45428 (LMS 5428 &BR 45428)
- 45491 (LMS 5491 & BR 45491)