45593 Kolhapur (LMS 5593 & BR 45593)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 45593-at-kolhapur-at-tyseley-june-2011.jpg

The locomotive was built in 1934 as LMS 5593 by North British Locomotive Co. at Queens Park, Glasgow.

The North British Locomotive Company (NBL, NB Loco or North British) was created in 1903 through the merger of three Glasgow locomotive manufacturing companies; Sharp, Stewart and Company (Atlas Works), Neilson, Reid and Company (Hyde Park Works) and Dübs and Company (Queens Park Works), creating the largest locomotive manufacturing company in Europe and the British Empire.

In 1936 it was named Kolhapur after Kolhapur, a princely state in western India.

Initially built with a low degree superheat domeless boiler, 5593 received a domed boiler in April 1937.

5593 hauled the train carrying Winston Churchill from Liverpool on his return from talks with President Roosevelt in 1942.

After nationalisation in January 1948 it was renumbered 45593 by British Railways in December of that year.

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date ArrivedDepot
January 1948Longsight
June 1951Preston
September 1951Carlisle Upperby
September 1960Carlisle Kingmoor
May 1961Willesden
June 1961Aston
November 1963Burton
September 1964Patricroft
January 1965Newton Heath
April 1965Leeds Holbeck

At Leeds Holbeck it was kept there in good condition to work railtours over the Settle-Carlisle Railway. The locomotive was also given a yellow cabside warning stripe to indicate that it was barred from the electrified West Coast Main Line south of Crewe where it was out-of-gauge. Kolhapur was withdrawn in October 1967.

45593 was bought in good condition January 1968 by the then Standard Gauge Steam Trust (now 7029 Clun Castle Ltd) and moved to Tyseley Railway Museum. It was restored during the 1980s to LMS maroon livery and it returned to main line running at the head of HRH The Duke of Gloucester’s Royal Train from Tyseley to Birmingham Moor Street on 5th June 1985.

In 1994 it temporarily assumed the identity and special livery of scrapped sister and class pioneer 5552 Silver Jubilee for the silver jubilee of the preserved Great Central Railway.

45593 was repainted into BR green in 1995.

The engine is currently in need of a full overhaul at Tyseley Locomotive Works. The overhaul will commence when 7029 Clun castle has been returned to traffic.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
TyseleyAwaiting overhaul7029 Clun Castle Ltd
45593 Kolhapur – July 1961
45593 Kholapur at Bristol Temple Meads on a special train to Oban – May 1964
45593 Kolhapur inside Leeds Holbeck shed .jpg
45593 Kolhapur inside Leeds Holbeck shed
45593 Kolhapur at Carlisle-February 1967
45593 Kolhapur at Bradford Exchange after arriving with a train from Blackpool – March 1967
45593 Kolhapur on the turntable at Blackpool North shed – March 1967
45593 Kolhapur leaving Bradford Foster Square witha Heysham parcels trail – March 1967
45593 Kolhapur preparing to leave the roundhouse at Leeds Holbeck – July 1967
45593 Kholapur on Carlisle Kingmoor shed - August 1967   c.jpg
45593 Kholapur on Carlisle Kingmoor shed – August 1967
45593 Kholapur on Carlisle Kingmoor shed - August 1967.jpg
45593 Kholapur on Carlisle Kingmoor shed – August 1967
45593 Kholapur at Tyseley - September 1968.jpg
45593 Kholapur at Tyseley – September 1968
45593 At Kolhapur at Tyseley – May 1969
45593 Kholapur at Cricklewood - July 1969.jpg
45593 Kholapur at Cricklewood – July 1969
45593 Kolhapur passes Marley, east of Keighley with a train from Carlisle to Leeds – April 1987
45593 Kolhapur at Wincobank, Sheffield – June 1988
45593 Kolhapur at Ramsbottom on the East Lancs Railway – August 1993
45593 At Kolhapur at Tyseley – June 2011

Back to 45552-45742

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives