4588 was built by the GWR in Swindon in 1927 and spent the bulk of its working life in Cornwall, being based in Truro for many years. It also spent time at Tyseley (when new), Penzance before moving to Plymouth Laira.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|September 1960||Plymouth Laira|
|November 1961||Plymouth Laira|
After withdrawal from service at Plymouth Laira in 1962, 4588 ended up in Woodham Bros scrapyard in Barry from where, in 1971, it became one of the first of several hundred locomotives to be purchased for preservation. 4588 was bought by the Dart Valley Railway Association (now South Devon Railway Association) for the princely sum of £1750 and sent to British Rail Engineering in its birthplace of Swindon for overhaul, the first steam locomotive to go through their shops for many years, before return to Buckfastleigh.
When the then owners of our line bought the Paignton to Kingswear line in 1973, 4588 was transferred over there, working services for many years. Later spent time on the Severn Valley Railway.
In 2015 4588 was sold by the Dartmouth Steam Railway to Mike Thompson and is based at Peak Rail at Rowsley although it has been out of service for over a decade.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Peak Rail||Awaiting overhaul||Mike Thompson|