46441 was built at Crewe in 1950.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|February 1950||Lancaster Green Ayre|
The duties of 46441 included the Lake Windermere cruise, a passenger train from Morecambe to Lakeside, via Ulverston hauling the District Engineer’s saloon. Its last general repair was at Crewe works in 1964.
It was withdrawn from service at Carnforth in April 1967 but remained at Carnforth as the steam depot became Steamtown as it was purchased by Dr Beet.
46441 was one of the smallest tender engines to operate on the former BR system during the 90’s. As well as being a regular at Carnforth and working at its home on the East Lancashire Railway it was also used for the regular steam on the met programme working trains alongside other steam engines.
46441 spent the period prior to 1998 based at Carnforth and following the lifting of the steam ban on the main line in 1971 operated once again on BR tracks.in the 1990s.
46441 last steamed in 2002 and is currently on static display in the Ribble Steam Railway Museum at Preston. The locomotives owner Chris Beet had no plans to overhaul it for a number of years.
In April 2018 the locomotive was moved to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway where it is planned to base it for an indefinite period during which it will be returned to steam. The move was fifty years after plans to move the locomotive there were considered by the father of the current owner.
The overhaul of 46441 is expected to take arount two years to complete. The boiler work will be undertaken at Carnforth by West Coast Railways whilst the remainder of the tasks will be undertaken at Haverthwaite.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway||Under overhaul||Chris Beet|