46447 was built at Crewe in 1950.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|March 1950||Crewe North|
|December 1959||Wigan Springs Branch|
|June 1960||Llandudno Junction|
|May 1964||Wigan Springs Branch|
After only two months it was moved to Workington to join other members of the class in displacing the ageing LNWR Webb ‘Cauliflower’ 0-6-0s from the Penrith area.
46447 was withdrawn from service with BR in December 1966 and sold to Woodham Brothers at Barry for scrap. It arrived at Barry in June 1967 and stayed there until June 1972 when it was purchased by the Ivatt Locomotive Trust and moved to Quainton Road, Buckinghamshire.
Despite missing a great many parts from its time at Barry and with a boiler in poor condition, restoration was started. The Ivatt Locomotive Trust subsequently decided that 46447’s future was to be on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and, along with fellow Ivatts 41313 and 41298. 46447 was transferred to Havenstreet during October 2008 where, after initial conservation work was completed, it was stored pending restoration as a static exhibit.
In 2012 it was announced that, in a deal that also saw the Isle of Wight Steam Railway acquire London, Brighton and South Coast Railway E1 0-6-0T No.110 from an East Somerset Railway based private owner, 46447 was to be moved to the East Somerset Railway’s Cranmore base with an agreement that it would be restored to running order.
With full restoration completed within the agreed two year project period, 46447 hauled its first passenger trains during a day of celebration at the East Somerset Railway in October 2014. The locomotive will remain at Cranmore – the home of the East Somerset Railway – on a ten year loan.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|East Somerset Railway||Operational||Ivatt Locomotive Trust|