46464 was built at Crewe in 1950 and was the last one built there. The next batch were built at Darlington and the final locomotives of the class at Swindon.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|June 1950||DundeeTay Bridge|
|December 1950||St Margarets|
|February 1951||Dundee Tay Bridge|
|December 1955||Dundee Tay Bridge|
|November 1957||Dundee Tay Bridge|
46464 was allocated to Dundee Tay Bridge shed along with classmate 46463 but were allocated, turn and turn about, to Arbroath.
46464 was briefly allocated to Kittybrewster where it worked on the Buchan line to Peterhead, Fraserburgh and St Combs, deputising for the regular engine, 46460, known to locals as ‘The Baby Elephant’.
The engine suffered damage some time in 1964, it was apparently hit by a B1 in Dundee, and was sent to Inverurie Locomotive Works for repairs to the LHS crosshead and footplating. It is perhaps surprising that 46464 was repaired, and not withdrawn at this point. The replacement crosshead came from already withdrawn classmate 46461.
46464 hauled the very last passenger train from Brechin to Forfar on 2nd August 1952 when it had to stand in at the last minute to replace another failed engine. This was its only visit to Brechin, and indeed the only recorded visit of an engine of its class. It also hauled the last train to run over the Carmyllie branch, on 19th May 1965.
It was bought in 1966 by Ian Fraser, who was a stream traction engine enthusiast, and became the first member of the class to be preserved.
His book ‘The Arbroath Affair’, published in 1961, tells the story of how he overcame the opposition of the local council to build an engine shed and garden railway in the grounds of his house in Arbroath.
Ian worked as a locomotive engineer with the LNER at Darlington, Doncaster and Inverurie and, following his retirement, made friends with many of the local engine crews. As a result of his interest, he eventually purchased several engines, most notably 46464 and the Gresley D49 ‘Morayshire’, which has recently been overhauled and returned to steam by the SRPS at Bo’ness.
Following its purchase, 46464 was presented to Dundee City Corporation. The initial intention had been to put the engine on display, but it was stored for several years before being loaned to the Strathspey Railway. It hauled the first scheduled passenger train on 22nd of July 1978 and remained in service there for several more years until it suffered accidental firebox damage.
The locomotive was subsequently restored to Mr Fraser’s ownership and left the Strathspey Railway on in November 1989 to return once more to Brechin.
Sadly Mr. Fraser died in 1992 and once legal matters were concluded, plans for the locomotive’s restoration were started and some preliminary investigation work took place to determine the overall condition of the engine and to give the railway some idea of the eventual cost of repair.
The Caledonian Railway decided in 2000 that it had neither the money or resources to continue with the restoration so a group got together and, in July 2000, signed an agreement with the engines’ former owner, David Fraser. As a result the Carmyllie Pilot Company Ltd was set up to restore and subsequently operate 46464.
In March 2002 the engine was dismantled and moved from the Caledonian Railway to a private site nearby with better facilities and improved access.
The locomotive requires a thorough overhaul, including extensive work to the boiler. This will take several years to complete. Unlike many locomotives saved from scrap yards, however, 46464 is about 95% complete and the missing parts can be relatively easily remanufactured.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Caledonian Railway||Under overhaul||Carmyllie Pilot Company Ltd|