7279 was produced by the Vulcan Foundry at their Newton-le-Willows site in Lancashire in 1924 and was originally numbered 7119. It spent its early years shunting the vast marshalling yards at Toton in Nottinghamshire before being transferred to Nottingham Depot in 1934 when it was renumbered 7279 by the LMS. Following nationalisation of the railways and the forming of BR in 1948 the engine was renumbered 47279.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|November 1966||Sutton Oak|
Towards the end of its period at Workington it was placed in store there.
47279 was withdrawn from Sutton Oak in 1967 and sold to the Woodham Bros. scrap-yard in South Wales.
After languishing in South Wales for 12 years, the engine was purchased by the 3F Trust for use on the KWVR, arriving on the Railway in August 1979, bereft, after so many years, of many parts including a chimney. A suitable chimney turned up stored (for eventual use as a flowerpot) in an outside lavatory.
Restoration involved completely dismantling the engine and then doing a rebuild which enabled 47279 to steam again in February 1988.
It was taken out of service when the boiler certificate expired but after a quick heavy overhaul it returned to traffic again in 2001.
Following the expiry of the boiler certificate in 2011 47279 was withdrawn from service again and placed on static display at Oxenhope whilst it awaits its turn in the queue for its next overhaul.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley Worth Valley Railway||On static display at Oxenhope||3F Trust|
- 47298 (LMS 7138, LMS 7298 & BR 47298)
- 47324 (LMS 16407, LMS 7324 & BR 47324)
- 47327 (LMS 16410, LMS 7327 & BR 47324)
- 47357 (LMS 16440, LMS 7357 & BR 47357)
- 47383 (LMS 16466, LMS 7383 & BR 47383)
- 47406 (LMS 16489, LMS 7406 & BR 47406)
- 47445 (LMS 16528, LMS 7445 & BR 47445)
- 47493 (LMS 16576, LMS 7493 & BR 47493)
- 47564 (LMS 16647, LMS 7564 & BR 47564)