47383 was built for the LMS by the Vulcan Foundry at Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire in 1926, and entered service that year as LMS number 16466 before being renumbered 7383.
It first worked in the London freight yards as it was allocated to Bow in East London. Subsequently it was based at Mersey Side, Mold Junction before moving to Chester.
Following nationalisation, it was renumbered 47383 by BR.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|June 1961||Speke Junction|
|October 1962||Carlisle Canal|
|June 1963||Rose Grove|
|January 1966||Newton Heath|
|December 1966||Withdrawn from service|
|February 1967||Reinstated at Westhouses|
The locomotive was withdrawn from service in October 1967 at Westhouses. Although based at Westhouses it was actually being employed by the National coal Board on services from Williamthorpe Colliery at Chesterfield..
47383 was the fifth locomotive to join the Severn Valley Railway (SVR), arriving in May 1968 some two years before the official opening of the railway.
In 1989 47383 jumped the points at Highley and had to be rerailed.
The first three periods of operation on the Severn Valley Railwat were – 1973-79, 1982-91 and 1992-2002.
It is now on static display in The Engine House at Highley awaiting overhaul.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Severn Valley Railway||On static display in the Engine House at Highley||Manchester Rail Travel Society|
- 47279 (LMS 7119, LMS 7279 & BR 47279)
- 47298 (LMS 7138, LMS 7298 & BR 47298)
- 47324 (LMS 16407, LMS 7324 & BR 47324)
- 47327 (LMS 16410, LMS 7327 & BR 47327)
- 47357 (LMS 16440, LMS 7357 & BR 47357)
- 47406 (LMS 16489, LMS 7406 & BR 47406)
- 47445 (LMS 16528, LMS 7445 & BR 47445)
- 47493 (LMS 16576, LMS 7493 & BR 47493)
- 47564 (LMS 16647, LMS 7564 & BR 47564)