48431 was built at Swindon in 1944 as 8431. It was one of the locomotives ordered by the Railway Executive Committee who were reformed (after being used during the First World War) in 1938 and later took on full control of the railways until nationalisation in 1948. It worked on the GWR at Gloucester until 1947 when it was transferred to the LMS at the Royston shed in Yorkshire.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|September 1955||Newton Abbott|
|October 1955||St Phillips Marsh|
|January 1960||Old Oak Common|
|November 1962||Bristol Barrow Road|
|January 1964||Bath Green Park|
It was withdrawn from traffic at Bath Green Park in May 1964 and was transported to Woodham Brothers scrapyard where it arrived in August of that year. It remained at Barry until May 1972.
It was transported by road to Keighley in May 1972 where it was first steamed again in 1974 before entering service on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in December 1975.
In early 1989 the locomotive was withdrawn from service for a major overhaul.
48431 is now on static display at Oxenhope awaiting an overhaul following its second period of running on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley &Worth Valley Railway||On static display at Oxenhope||Keighley & Worth Valley Railway|
- 48151 (LMS 8151 & BR 48151)
- 48173 (LMS 8173 & BR 48173)
- 48305 (LMS 8303 & BR 48305)
- 48518 (LMS 8518 & BR 48518)
- 48624 (LMS 8624 & BR 48624)
- 48773 (WD 307, LMS 8233, Iranian State Rly 41.109, WD 70307, WD 500 & BR 48773)
- TCCD 45160 (WD 70348, LMS 8274 & TCCD 45160)
- 7TCCD 45170
- Preserved Overseas – TCCD 45161, TCCD 45166 & TCCD 45168