48518 was built at Doncaster in 1944 as part of the batch of 68 built at Doncaster, Darlington and Brighton for the LNER and were the O6 class. They were transferred to the LMS on loan in 1947, apart from one which was transferred to what was then the Midland Region of BR in 1948. None of the Doncaster built locomotives have survived.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|February 1948||Swansea Victoria|
|November 1950||Newton Heath|
|November 1964||Croes Newydd|
48518 was withdrawn from service whilst at Willesden in June 1965 and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry where it arrived in October 1965.
48518 became one of the Barry Ten. These were the locomotives that were taken on by the Vale of Glamorgan Council when Dai Woodham retired and the scrapyard closed. They were placed under the management and ownership of Cambrian Transport, who announced plans for the utilisation of the locomotives in May 2010. For 48518 the plan was-
- Disassembled, boiler used in the 1014 County of Glamorgan recreation project.
- Other parts (including wheelsets) used in various restorations, including the 45551 Unknown Warrior recreation project.
Bits of 48518 are stored at the Llangollen Railway but the frames were scrapped at Bury in 2013.
In early 2017 the boiler barrel of 48518 was acquired by Greg Wilson who is the Operations Manager on the Churnet Valley Railway. The barrel will be used on classmate 48173.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Only bits of the locomotive remain||Various|
- 48151 (LMS 8151 & BR 48151)
- 48173 (LMS 8173 & BR 48173)
- 48305 (LMS 8303 & BR 48305)
- 48431 (LMS 8431 & BR 48431)
- 48624 (LMS 8624 & BR 48624)
- 48773 (WD 307, LMS 8233, Iranian State Rly 41.109, WD 70307, WD 500 & BR 48773)
- TCCD 45160 (WD 70348, LMS 8274 & TCCD 45160)
- 7TCCD 45170
- Preserved Overseas – TCCD 45161, TCCD 45166, TCCD 45168 & IRR1429