5164 was built at Swindon and was completed in 1930 at a cost of £4,220. Until 1957 it was mainly based in the Wolverhampton District, principally to Tyseley, but also to Stafford Road and Wellington. Duties included the haulage of local trains from Birmingham (Snow Hill and Moor Street) to Leamington and Stratford-upon-Avon, also Snow Hill to Stourbridge and Kidderminster (even venturing on to what is now the Severn Valley Railway) plus Dudley, Wolverhampton Low Level and Wellington.
Later at Newton Abbott 5164 worked local trains to Exeter St Davids, Moretohampstead, Kingswear and Plymouth North Road. 5164 also worked as a banker on Dainton and Rattery Banks.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|August 1956||Newton Abbot|
|October 1961||Pontypool Road|
Withdrawn in April 1963, after 33 years in service and with 811,367 miles to its credit it was sold to Woodham Brothers for scrap in October 1963 where it arrived soon afterwards.
5164 was selected as being in the best condition of the remaining ten class 5101 locomotives at Barry and was purchased for an estimated £2,250 by The 5164 Preservation Group.
It was moved to Bewdley in 1973 in convoy with 4930 Hagley Hall and 7819 Hinton Manor. 5164 was steamed for the first time in preservation in 1979 and was withdrawn briefly late in 1979/early 1980 for some adjustments before re-entering service.
After the boiler certificate expired in January 2014 it was loaned out to Barrow Hill Roundhouse where it was on static display. It had been hoped that the locomotive would be returned to Bridgnorth where work on overhauling the locomotive could commenced in 2016 but this proved to be optimistic. In early 2018 5164 was still at Barrow Hill and the owners thought that its return to Bridgnorth might still be some time off.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Severn Valley Railway||Awaiting overhaul||5164 Preservation Group|